The Forest Park Forever Women's Committee Kicks Off a Fundraising Drive to Sustain a Treasure
Just as it did 25 years ago,
The Women’s Committee of Forest Park Forever is coming together to support a special improvement project in Forest Park.
Funds raised during the first Hiram W. Leffingwell Award Luncheon in 1991 supported the restoration of the Nathan Frank Bandstand. In 2015, their focus turns to the beloved Cascades, known also as “Flegel Falls.”
Forest Park Forever will use proceeds from this year’s 25th Annual Hat Luncheon to stabilize the Cascades for visitors today and in the future.
History of the Cascades
Built in 1937, the Cascades were designed to mimic the World’s Fair Cascades that once flowed down Art Hill. This popular site, which serves as the origin for the Park’s entire river system, has been a setting for romance, family gatherings and quiet moments for millions of Park visitors. With a lead gift from Elynor and Leslie Flegel, the Cascades were significantly overhauled during the Restoring the Glory campaign.
Nearly two decades later, this natural formation is again due for another round of essential repairs.
Funds raised by the Women's Committee will support the first phase of much needed improvements to the Cascades.
Donate to the stabilization of this Park treasure and take part in shaping Forest Park's history.