Thank you for visiting this page for construction updates in Forest Park.
Forest Park Visitor Alert | December 8, 2016
Re: Government & Wells Construction
Road closures will begin on Wednesday, December 14, 2016, for a Forest Park restoration project that is among the most requested by visitors: rebuilding and improving portions of Government and Wells Drives, which take many visitors to the Saint Louis Zoo and Saint Louis Art Museum, among other Park destinations. In recent years, visitors trying to navigate these streets by car, on bike or on foot have been challenged by crumbling roads that offer plenty of potholes, a lack of designated crossings, partial or no sidewalks and no visitor amenities.
Street Closure & Access
Construction will begin in December 2016 and is anticipated to be substantially complete in June 2017, in time for Forest Park’s busiest season. A few important notes:
- During construction of these portions of the roads, access will be restricted.
- The Saint Louis Zoo’s north and south parking lots will remain open during construction, accessible from the east.
- There will be onsite signage about closures and re-routes.
- Forest Park Forever will use its Twitter and Facebook channels, its forestparkmap.org web app and a special page on its website, forestparkforever.org/construction, to update visitors about progress and reroutes.
- Signage and staff in the Visitor Center will communicate access information to visitors.
- Park visitors planning to use the Skinker/Wells entrance should instead enter the Park via Lagoon off Skinker, via Tamm off Oakland or via Hampton.
Forest Park Visitor Alert | December 1, 2016
Re: Forest Park Parkway Closure
The construction to create a more “traditional intersection” at Forest Park Parkway (FPP) and Kingshighway Blvd. is part of a campus renewal project encompassing Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children's Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine. The new intersection will allow for safer pedestrian navigation and improved access to the medical center, the Central West End and Forest Park. The $10-million project is funded through a federal grant and funds from BJC and the Washington University School of Medicine.
Street Closures During Construction
Beginning Monday, December 5, 2016, a section of FPP will close for this year-long construction project. Closure locations:
- East-bound traffic on FPP will have a soft closure at Skinker. Traffic will be detoured north and south on Skinker. Local traffic only east of Skinker.
- East-bound traffic on FPP will have a hard closure at Des Peres Avenue. All traffic will be directed to turn left/north onto Des Peres. Neighborhood-only traffic.
- West-bound traffic on FPP will have a hard closure at Euclid Avenue, with access to Kingshighway Blvd.
Suggested Access to Forest Park During Construction
If you are visiting Forest Park from this direction during construction, we suggest the following:
- From Skinker Blvd.: Enter at Lagoon Drive/Forsyth.
- From Delmar Blvd.: Enter at DeBaliviere Blvd. or Union Blvd.
- From Kingshighway Blvd.: Enter at West Pine Blvd. and Grand Drive.
For more information, please visit this website.