Construction & Access Updates
Repaving Projects in Forest Park Complete
The asphalt surface repaving projects at the Visitor Center Parking Lot (shown at left) and along Faulkner Drive are complete and the lot and road are re-opened. Crews will return to paint crosswalks and mark parking spaces in the coming weeks.
— Posted August 30, 2017
Forest Park Parkway To Reopen on Friday, September 1, 2017
Forest Park Parkway, between Euclid Avenue and DeBaliviere Avenue, is slated to reopen on Friday, September 1. This construction project focused on the reconfiguration of the Kingshighway and Forest Park Parkway intersection, allowing for full traffic movement, construction of a new bridge over the MetroLink tracks, repainting of the pedestrian bridge over Forest Park Parkway and the installation of a pedestrian underpass allowing peds and cyclists to safely travel under Forest Park Parkway. More information about this project is available here and here.
— Posted August 30, 2017
Liberal Arts Bridge Demolition & Road Closure Coming Tuesday, September 5, 2017
- Liberal Arts Bridge – located between the Boathouse and the Muny, connecting Governement Drive and Pagoda Circle – will close for demolition on Tuesday, September 5.
- The road will be reopened to traffic this winter.
- This construction is part of a larger project improving this entire area. Please click here for the full project press release.
- Visitor Tips: To access the Boathouse during construction, enter Government Drive from the southwest at Washington Drive, Fine Arts Drive or Wells Drive. Parallel parking is available along Government Drive, and the Boathouse Parking Lot will be open during construction. Alternate Boathouse Parking Option: Use the Visitor Center Parking Lot (orange circle at top center), park in the southwest corner of the lot and take the pedestrian/bike path (that runs along the eastside of Dwight Davis Tennis Center), cross over the wooden footbridge and follow path to the Boathouse entrance. This is a leisurely 3-minute walk.
— Posted August 29, 2017
Visitor Center Parking Lot & Faulkner Drive Repaving
- The Visitor Center East Parking Lot will be closed beginning Monday, August 21 for repaving and re-striping. This work will take approximately one week. The West Parking Lot (with access from Grand Drive) will remain open.
- There will be no street parking on Faulkner Drive between Clayton Ave. and Wells Drive beginning Tuesday, August 22. The road will be open to traffic while crews repave the road, with work expected to take approximately two weeks.
— Posted August 21, 2017
Forest Park's Central Fields Closing for Major Renovations
Central Fields will be closed while major renovations take place on this 29-acre area from June 2017-summer 2018. This project originates in the 1995 Forest Park Master Plan, the document that continues to guide the Park’s significant restoration efforts.
Project highlights include:
- Four top-quality soccer fields
- Three full-sized rugby fields
- New facilities to improve the visitor experience, including two restroom facilities, a pavilion and a concession stand
- New spaces for visitors to meet and gather
- Re-grading and soil improvements for better drainage
- Irrigated fields to maintain quality turf
- New trails, which will now connect Central Fields to Steinberg Rink and the Jewel Box
- Street improvements and better pedestrian access
- New bike racks that can house up to 36 bikes
- New trees and attractive new landscaping
— Posted June 6, 2017
Forest Park Parkway Closure
The construction to create a more “traditional intersection” at Forest Park Parkway (FPP) and Kingshighway Blvd. is part of a campus renewal project encompassing Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children's Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine. The new intersection will allow for safer pedestrian navigation and improved access to the medical center, the Central West End and Forest Park. The $10-million project is funded through a federal grant and funds from BJC and the Washington University School of Medicine.
Street Closures During Construction
Beginning Monday, December 5, 2016, a section of FPP will close for this year-long construction project. Closure locations:
- East-bound traffic on FPP will have a soft closure at Skinker. Traffic will be detoured north and south on Skinker. Local traffic only east of Skinker.
- East-bound traffic on FPP will have a hard closure at Des Peres Avenue. All traffic will be directed to turn left/north onto Des Peres. Neighborhood-only traffic.
- West-bound traffic on FPP will have a hard closure at Euclid Avenue, with access to Kingshighway Blvd.
Suggested Access to Forest Park During Construction
If you are visiting Forest Park from this direction during construction, we suggest the following:
- From Skinker Blvd.: Enter at Lagoon Drive/Forsyth.
- From Delmar Blvd.: Enter at DeBaliviere Blvd. or Union Blvd.
- From Kingshighway Blvd.: Enter at West Pine Blvd. and Grand Drive.
For more information, please visit this website.
— Posted December 1, 2016