Nature Works is...
a collaborative workforce development and experiential education program aimed at teaching St. Louis-area high school students about conservation efforts and environmental job opportunities, while developing their knowledge and skills for the environmental job field.
Interns will be working with environmental professionals in Forest Park as well as in collaborations with other organizations in the St. Louis area, which have included: the Missouri Department of Conservation, Missouri Botanical Garden & the Shaw Nature Reserve, the Saint Louis Zoo and more!
Check out a recap from the 2017 Nature Works crew on our blog: "In Their Own Words: Looking Back on Nature Works 2017"
You can read more about Nature Works in this article written for Forest Park Forever by Krystin Arneson: "Training Days: Discovering Green Career Paths in Forest Park"
How It Works...
Classroom activities designed with the teacher to enrich curricula with case studies from Forest Park.
Forest Park Field Experience
The opportunity for classes to work and learn alongside environmental professionals on projects in Forest Park. Bus funding provided.
Paid Summer Internships for Students
Ten paid internships available for high school students working with environmental professionals.
You Can Make an Impact
- Restoring and maintaining Forest Park’s natural areas
- Removing invasive plant species
- Planting native species and learning how to help them thrive
- Restoring wildlife habitats
- Increasing the size and connectivity of Forest Park’s Wildlife Corridor
- Helping with the restoration of 11.3 acres of riparian habitat throughout the Park
- Working as a team to complete important Park improvement projects
- Sharing gained experience through this program with others (as well as other programs and partnerships)
- Gaining knowledge of different environmental jobs
In April 2015, Nature Works was recognized as an official partner with the U.S. Department of the Interior as a member of its 21st Century Conservation Service Corps.
Nature Works 2018 Summer Internship Dates to Remember:
January 1: Application available
February 28: Application deadline
March 5-9: Interviews
March 30: Participant offers sent out
April 13: Participant acceptance deadline
June 4: Assistant crew leader starts working
June 11: Program starts
August 3: Program ends