Voyage of Learning Teachers' Academy
Imagine Forest Park filled with students and teachers engaged in memorable, unique and educational activities. Imagine teachers who are comfortable, confident and effective experiential outdoor educators. Imagine an event that makes all of this possible.
Forest Park Forever, the cultural institutions of the Park and other partner organizations have joined forces to do just that with the Voyage of Learning Teachers' Academy. VOLTA is an experiential education program that:
- Transforms Forest Park into an experiential learning lab.
- Builds teachers’ skills in investigative experiential outdoor education.
- Promotes an interdisciplinary approach for teaching and learning.
- Develops the skills for aligning the outdoor education curriculum with Missouri “Show-Me” Standards.
- Creates a pool of resources in Forest Park for teachers' future field experiences.
- Blends the Voyage of Learning experience with the various Voyager institutions.
- Although not required, teachers are encouraged to participate in teams from their schools.
- Voyagers Rendezvous: June 21, 2018 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Orientation & Reception: July 17, 2018, 4:00-7:30 p.m.
- Academy Sessions: July 18-27, 2018, 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (excluding weekends)
Outcomes for the Following School Year
- Teachers will have Forest Park-related curriculum aligned with Missouri “Show Me” standards ready for implementation.
- Bus Transportation Funds will be available for one class trip per teacher to Forest Park (teams of teachers may combine their classes to stretch these transportation resources).
Fees, Stipends & Education Credit
- To reserve your space, a fee of $150 is required. Payment is due by June 1, 2017. Checks should be made payable to Forest Park Forever. Teachers who withdraw from the program after June 15 may forfeit this fee.
- Participants who pay their fee, either personally or through their school’s professional development funds, receive a $150 stipend after successfully completing the eight-day Voyage of Learning Teachers' Academy.
- Professional Development Clock Hours or 60 PDUs awarded.
- The Academy qualifies for 3 graduate credit hours through Lindenwood University. Teachers wishing to apply for graduate credits are responsible for an additional payment to Lindenwood. Registration for graduate credits will be done at the Academy Orientation.
Questions? Please email Education Coordinator Ellie Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about the VOLTA program in these recent blog posts: